[tor-dev] recreated website png diagrams as svg

Justin Findlay jfindlay at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 15:50:21 UTC 2013

On 11/09/2013 06:20 PM, andrew at torproject.is wrote:
> They weren't copied from an EFF presentation, they were
> made by the EFF for us. You can find the originals inside
> https://media.torproject.org/image/official-images/tor_design_archive.zip
>
> I've added them to the site image directory for now.

Awesome.  There's lots of raster diagrams there.  There are eps versions
of the three EFF ones I remade, but they seem to contain many binary
blobs and I couldn't find the text therein as actual text.  It might be
vector markup, sure, but that's much lower level than an svg's text and
font statements.  Besides, eps isn't a format easily supported natively
by any browser, whereas svg is practically designed for this purpose.
(I'm still not sure what wml is and why it should be preferred.  Does
this have something to do with the framework of the site and how it is
rendered?)

To me there seems to be two purposes: 1) remake the illustrations in a
format such that the included text can be easily automatically
translated and 2) use vector graphics, raster being somewhat
retrogressive. [1]

I used inkscape for the three images I remade and don't necessarily
consider them the best/final versions.  As a programmer, I'm more
comfortable with an expressive language like TikZ that can be rendered
to svg than a wysiwyg editor.

Justin

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Preparing_images_for_upload