[tor-dev] Apple App Store Redux

Justin Findlay jfindlay at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 15:13:54 UTC 2013

On 11/11/2013 05:36 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
>    It seems Apple's terms are incompatible with copyleft, and that isn't
>    likely to change.  Is there any copylefted code in TBB?  I would
>    expect so, but I haven't enumerated it.   People who choose copyleft
>    for their code do so for a reason, and Apple's terms are fundamentally
>    inconsistent with those reasons - this isn't a matter of nits to be
>    smoothed over.
>
>    Is the agreement that a company would have to sign public?  There
>    seems to be some notion that it is not.  I believe that charitable
>    organizations and free software organizations should not enter into
>    secret agreements, and that doing so would be a breach of their duty
>    to act in the public interest.

I agree with everything that's been said here.  I don't trust Apple.  If
all of these conditions are true, playing the game by their proprietary
rules seems too severe a burden for this libre software very much in the
public interest.  The people who desire to use TBB should already know
this and will be prepared for the minor inconvenience of obtaining the
app directly from torproject.

Justin