[tor-dev] recreated website png diagrams as svg

Lunar lunar at torproject.org
Mon Nov 11 14:10:23 UTC 2013

Justin Findlay:
> Item h under
>
> https://www.torproject.org/getinvolved/volunteer.html.en#OtherCoding
>
> discusses (at least) the images at this page,
>
> https://www.torproject.org/about/overview.html.en
>
> which look as if they're copied from some EFF presentation.  I've
> recreated them as svg.  Svg being a fairly standard vector markup, I
> supposed that it would be more amenable to automatic string
> replacement than a png (I'm not sure what wml is).  Please look them
> over and give me feedback.  If they are ultimately found acceptable,
> you are welcome to use them for the site.  Thanks.

I think they look great. :)

But something has always bothered me with these diagrams: they make it
look like Tor relays are run on everyone's computer. With Justin's
revision, it looks like they are run on laptops. The vast majority of
Tor relays are run on stable servers and most of the traffic flows
through high capacity servers, hosted in datacenters behind high
capacity links. So I think picturing a laptop might be misleading…

--
Lunar                                             <lunar at torproject.org>