[tor-dev] Apple App Store Redux

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Mon Nov 11 12:36:00 UTC 2013

Griffin Boyce <griffin at cryptolab.net> writes:

> Here are the issues as I see them:
>   - Apple has traditionally been at odds with GPL-licensed stuff [3],
> though of late it seems to have relaxed a bit with dual-licensed
> material [2].
>   - If the TBB is added to the app store by Tor, it requires review of
> and agreement to Apple's terms and also agreeing not to reveal DRM
> sekrits [4].
>   - It requires time and energy to keep the app store listing maintained.

It's a little hard to tell what's really going on.  A few thoughts:

  It seems Apple's terms are incompatible with copyleft, and that isn't
  likely to change.  Is there any copylefted code in TBB?  I would
  expect so, but I haven't enumerated it.   People who choose copyleft
  for their code do so for a reason, and Apple's terms are fundamentally
  inconsistent with those reasons - this isn't a matter of nits to be
  smoothed over.

  Is the agreement that a company would have to sign public?  There
  seems to be some notion that it is not.  I believe that charitable
  organizations and free software organizations should not enter into
  secret agreements, and that doing so would be a breach of their duty
  to act in the public interest.