[tor-dev] .i2p address support in torsocks

David Goulet dgoulet at ev0ke.net
Sat Nov 2 17:52:48 UTC 2013

On 02 Nov (16:13:37), adrelanos wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> adding .i2p support to torsocks is perfectly fine. It's a feature, not a
> limitation. Who doesn't want to use it won't be annoyed by it. (Other
> than man page and --help entry, but well, life is tough. :)
>
> Someone else already said on this list some time ago "since torsocks is
> agnostic about a Tor or a random socks server, there is no point in
> calling it torsocks". If it works fine with normal socks servers and you
> are willing to support that, sure, why not rename it.

That is not entirely true. The rewrite effort made it actually *more*
Tor aware. Furthermore, there is some Tor specific SOCKS extension for
DNS resolution (that might actually be the norm elsewhere...) but for
now seems not that agnostic.

So the goal of torsocks right now is *not* to be agnostic about Tor
where for instance .onion support is quite tor-ish. But it does not mean
we should not think of a better name *especially* in terms of usability
where for most users "socks" does not mean anything. I guess this is why
"usewithtor" and "torify" wrappers were created. And that would make
more sense if i2p address support comes in.

David