[tor-dev] Remote descriptor fetching

Kostas Jakeliunas kostas at jakeliunas.com
Wed May 29 04:47:31 UTC 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 2:50 AM, Damian Johnson <atagar at torproject.org>wrote:

> So far, so good. By my read of the man pages this means that gzip or
> python's zlib module should be able to handle the decompression.
> However, I must be missing something...
>
> % wget http://128.31.0.34:9131/tor/server/all.z
>
> [...]
>
> % python
> ...   print zlib.decompress(desc_file.read())
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 2, in <module>
> zlib.error: Error -5 while decompressing data: incomplete or truncated
> stream

This seemed peculiar, so I tried it out. Each time I wget all.z from that
address, it's always a different one; I guess that's how it should be, but
it seems that sometimes not all of it gets downloaded (hence the actually
legit zlib error.)

I was able to make it work after my second download attempt (with your
exact code); zlib handles it well. So far it's worked every time since.

This is probably not good if the source may sometimes deliver an incomplete
stream.

TL;DR try wget'ing multiple times and getting even more puzzled (?)