[tor-dev] Tor Launcher UI feedback follow up

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon May 13 08:46:39 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 08:38:53AM +0000, adrelanos wrote:
> So what's the ethical thing to do?
>
> Totally deprecate the "hide the fact, you're using Tor" use case?
>
> Have a button "My network operator threatens my person safety", which is
> honest and explains, Tor can't help

Actually, Tor can help. The diversity of Tor users in a given locale
gives safety in numbers. If many Tor users are using Tor to read their
friends posts on Facebook, then this threatening network operator cannot
easily tell whether you're doing that or something else. The issue here
is that whether you use a bridge doesn't really change anything.

I guess that logic leads me towards leaving out mentions of personal
safety in the "do you need a bridge" dialog, since it's increasingly
looking like it's an orthogonal topic.

--Roger