[tor-dev] Local onionoo cache

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon May 13 07:38:51 UTC 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 08:58:27AM +0200, Karsten Loesing wrote:
> The only downside I can see is that it takes about 30--45 minutes for
> new exits to show up in your local cache.  An alternative would be to
> query the exit list yourself, download the most recent consensus, and
> compile a list of exit addresses yourself.

Speaking of delays: the place that knows about new relays first is each
directory authority. Not only that, but they know also what IP address
the relay is exiting from, since that's where the relay publishes its
descriptor from. E.g.,

@uploaded-at 2013-05-12 16:57:35
@source "173.246.102.12"
router nthdimension 173.246.101.241 443 0 0
[...]

Seems like this info could provide an alternative, simpler way to generate
the exit-addresses file:
https://exitlist.torproject.org/exit-addresses

which if we're doing our modularity right, should be the input to the
various other scripts.

I guess I should make a trac ticket of this idea. But which component?
We sure seem to have a lot of projects that overlap tordnsel / torbel in
some way.

--Roger