[tor-dev] Channel incoming queue

MF Nowlan fitz at cs.yale.edu
Sat May 4 16:13:09 UTC 2013

Yes, the initial plan is to maintain ordering within a circuit. Although, even this is not strictly necessary if the application wishes to handle out of order packets. For example, a web server could theoretically handle requests for different resources in any order. But that's a different story.

Yes, we are aware of TCP-over-DTLS and Defenestrator. I'm not familiar with PCTCP. I'll read up on that.

What you're saying about HOL blocking in the output queue for a relay makes sense if the receive window fills up, but I didn't explain how uTCP actually works. uTCP (and paired with uTLS) is a kernel patch that will expose to the application (in this case, Tor) segments that have arrived even if they are NOT the next logical segments in the stream. uTCP breaks TCP's delivery semantics, without affecting the on-the-wire protocol. Thus, it prevents HOL blocking from occurring in the TCP receive buffer. Now, it should be clear why the queue is important: I need to keep unordered cells in the queue if they are out of order within a circuit, but if they are the "next expected cell" for its circuit, then I can process it, regardless of whether it came in order or out of order from TCP.

I'm implementing this by changing the wire format to include a sequence number for each cell. The sequence number increments within a circuit. The receiver increments its "expected" sequence number with each in order arrival within a circuit.

It makes sense why the code is written as it is to process cells immediately, since, as you point out, the HOL issue has already been resolved by the time it gets to Tor. I was really just trying to manually inject some cell reordering to test Tor's ability to handle cells from different circuits out-of-order with respect to how TCP delivered them. But I'll skip this testing step and go to the next one, which is just running it atop uTCP/uTLS directly and using the incoming_queue to hold cells as needed.  I'll have to change a bit more of the code, particularly the asserts that the incoming_queue is empty after a call to channel_process_cells(…).

If you have any other thoughts on this issue, please send them along. I appreciate your insight.

Regards,

Fitz