[tor-dev] GSOC - Internet Censorship Virtual Machine Based Simulator

Blibbet blibbet at gmail.com
Wed May 1 02:44:38 UTC 2013

> I'm Claudiu, a second year PhD student in CS at Sapienza University (Rome,
> Italy) and I would like to work on your GSOC idea to build a VB-based
> simulator for OONI. My main research topics are network neutrality and
> broadband measurement and I'm currently working on a project on traffic
> shaping detection. [...]

Hi,

You've seen NetKit-based TorLab, right?
http://minerva.netgroup.uniroma2.it/discreet/browser/torlab/trunk/INSTALL
http://list.dia.uniroma3.it/pipermail/netkit.users/2007-November/000313.html
Outdated, but perhaps similar to what you're talking about doing?

Besides TorLab, there's also a Java-based simulator, which is somewhat
similar. Sorry, I always forget the name of it.

Why VB? And do you mean VB or VB.NET? At least the latter might work on
Linux via Mono. Anyway, VB seems rather a strange language choice for
this community, which seems to prefer Python (Stems) or Java (JTorCtl)
for this sort of thing.