[tor-dev] Using Tor as a library

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) lists at infosecurity.ch
Thu Mar 28 09:50:19 UTC 2013

On 3/28/13 8:32 AM, wac wrote:
> Hi Folks:
>
> I am looking to use Tor as a library for my program. I managed to build it from the sources including the required libraries. But now I am looking for hints on how to replace the SOCKS 4/5 or the transparent proxy with direct calls from my application to link them. I'm hoping somebody here can point me in the right direction. That is turning off all listening for incoming connections. Just my application going through tor circuits.
That's the future of Tor, to be integrated as a library just like an
encryption library into application.

That's also the only way to make applications in constrained
environment, such as Apple iOS.

Some useful link to look at is:
https://github.com/mtigas/iOS-OnionBrowser (embedding Tor as part of
Apple iOS application)
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2011-September/021527.html

If you approach this kind of problem, it would great if you create a
full set of patches, creating proper tickets on
http://trac.torproject.org and detailed documentation to enable anyone
to build "Applications" with Tor built-in in an easy way.

A very valuable target could be to create a "wrapper" around Tor with
minor patch to be able to use it as a library from any major application
programming languages.

Fabio