[tor-dev] Tor Exit Images

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) lists at infosecurity.ch
Sun Mar 24 21:27:55 UTC 2013

On 3/24/13 9:39 PM, Griffin Boyce wrote:
> Hey all,
>
>   After talking to Wendy Seltzer, I decided to bring this up on the
> list.  I frequently talk to people who would like to run an exit node,
> but who aren't as good a sysadmin as they'd like to be.  It would be
> great if there were server images that could be fairly easily
> installed and then configured.  All of these people so far have had
> the means to spend $150ish a month on the required hosting, they just
> felt that getting it running was a stumbling block.
>
>   Thoughts?

To fix that need it would be nice to make a sort of "hosting provider"
(using existing tool for customer management, payments,
server/application deployment & maintenance) to host Tor Exit.

That way the "ownership", "liability", "costs", "abuse management" would
still be of the person running it's own server, but it would be highly
facilitated to be able to setup / sponsor Tor Exit somehow.

The "hosting provider" would choose the right balance between bandwidth
resources / ISPs locations / netblocks distribution.

The "hosting provider" would provide to it's own customer a ready made
ticketing-interface to handle abuse requests and management.

It would be a way to "industrialize" and facilitate the setup of "Tor
Exit ISPs".

Fabio