[tor-dev] Improving the HTTP interface of BridgeDB: bridges.torproject.org

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Wed Mar 20 02:35:00 UTC 2013

> Sathyanarayanan Gunasekaran:
>> On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 11:26 PM, George Kadianakis
>> <desnacked at riseup.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > I started writing a skeleton and some strings for the new website. I'm
>> > also attaching an image of how the website looked like in my head
>> > while I was writing the strings (although the person who codes, should
>> > choose the interface). Sathya (cc'ed) said that he would be interested
>> > in coding the web part.
>> >

>> Here are the .htmls -
>> https://people.torproject.org/~gsathya/html/index.html
>> https://people.torproject.org/~gsathya/html/captcha.html
>> https://people.torproject.org/~gsathya/html/bridges.html
>
> Some links are sub-optimal in these mockups. Having link on "here",
> "these" or "this" is not really helpful. See
> <http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/noClickHere> and
> <http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/click.html> for more details.
>
> I think it would be better to have these links phrased as:
>
>  * I want [obfs2 bridges] for tor-obfsproxy-browser.
>  * I want [obfs2 bridges] or [obfs3 bridges] for
>    tor-flashproxy-pyobfsproxy.
>  * I want [direct bridges] for other bundles like tor-browser.
>  * This website allows you to get [bridge addresses].
>  * Please read the [introduction to obfuscated bridges and
>    pluggable transports].
>
> The square brackets delimit the linked part. I've replaced "direct
> bridges" because I think "direct" is probably a better wording than
> "normal". The norm might shift to obfsproxy bridges in the next months…
>
> What do you think?
>
> --
> Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
> lunar at debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism
>                                     `. `'`
>                                       `-

I'm attaching a stupid mockup we came up with during the dev meeting.
I'm also attaching some hopefully improved FAQ-section strings.

Does anyone want to fix Sathya's templates? :)
You can find them here:
https://people.torproject.org/~gsathya/html/index.html
https://people.torproject.org/~gsathya/html/captcha.html
https://people.torproject.org/~gsathya/html/bridges.html

Some notes on the mockup:

- We decided to not rely on users knowing the filename of their bundles.
The idea instead is to have a "Get latest obfsbundle" button and a "Get
bridges" button which gives you bridges appropriate for that bundle (in
the beginning it should give you 2-3 normal bridges, and 1-2 obfuscated
bridges suitable for your bundle)

- We decided to stop distinguishing between obfuscated and normal bridges.
Users should simply not care. They should just put those strings to their
bundles (using Vidalia) and that should work automagically.

- We should somehow make it clear that users don't need to re-download the
TBB if they have the latest version.

- We tried to keep the FAQ section minimal and easy to understand. Did we
miss anything?

- This is a temporary interface. It's designed to be quick to write, and
should work with the current codebase of BridgeDB. In the future, we can
think of more advanced BridgeDB setupos.