[tor-dev] Interested in contributing to Tor-Dev through GSoC

Nick Mathewson nickm at alum.mit.edu
Sun Mar 10 18:52:29 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Damian Johnson <atagar at torproject.org> wrote:
> Hi Ashish, glad you want to get involved with Tor for GSoC!

We should be very clear to mention this:

The organizations participating in 2013 GSoC have NOT been announced
yet. While we don't think we've done anything that would make Google
not take our application this year, there is *NO* guarantee that we
will be accepted, and any discussion about applying for Tor stuff for
GSoC 2013 is contingent on .

(I say this because in the past the GSoC admins have gotten justly
annoyed when projects imply that they have been accepted when they
actually aren't.)

Damian, do you think we could add a prominent sentence or two to our
gsoc page to clarify this point? (i.e., that the list of projects we
have are entirely contingent on our acceptance into the program, which
has not yet been determined or announced, and which is entirely at
GSoC's discretion.)

For reference, the GSoC timeline is here:
https://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2013/help_page#2._What_is_the_program_timeline

best wishes,
--
Nick