[tor-dev] XMPP Pluggable Transport

Alex Eftimiades alexeftimiades at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 04:31:55 UTC 2013

The git repository is here. I have been touching up the code all day,
but as of now, I think I got most (or at least the most serious) of
the bugs fixed.

To run it, use the following command for the client:

python hexchat.py -c logfile jid1 'password1' jid2 'password2' ... -s
local_ip local_port user at chatserver remote_ip remote_port

where each" jid" is a login of the form username at chatserver. local_ip
and local_port are the local ips and ports hexchat should bind to
(this is what you should tell Tor is your bridge). The user at chatserver
that follows is the login that the client's hexchat program should
contact when initiating a connection. Finally, remote_ip and
remote_port are the ip address and port you want the server's hexchat
to connect to. This should be the ip and port of the actual bridge.

Then for the server, you would run:
python hexchat.py -c logfile jid1 'password1' jid2 'password2' ...

, where each jid here is NOT one of the jids the client is using. One
of them should be the user at chatserver jid used in the client startup
command. This user at chatserver cannot be a gmail account. Google will
not send messages to a gmail account that is not on your contact list,
but it has no problem with jabber.org accounts (and possibly others).
Gmail accounts are by far the fastest, so you might want at least 2 or
3 of those per computer.

Here is an example:
client:
python hexchat.py -c  /tmp/hexchat alice at gmail.com 'alices password' bob at gmail.com
  'bobs password' charlie at jabber.org 'charlies password' -s 127.0.0.1
5555 robert at jabber.org <some bridge's ip address> <some bridge's port
number>

server:
python hexchat.py -c /tmp/hexchat robert at jabber.org 'roberts password' eve at gmail.com
  'eves password' alicia at jabber.org 'alicias password'

Now when you tell the client's tor to use 127.0.0.1:5555 as a bridge,
the data will be forwarded to the server, which will in turn forward
the connection and data to <some bridge's ip address>:<some bridge's
port number>. Just be sure both computers (or you can use the same
computer if you want) have hexchat up and running before you start
Tor. It takes a couple of seconds for hexchat to start up.

I plan to implement a whitelist for the ip addresses that the server
is willing to connect to (note that as of now, the client could
specify any local or remote ip address for the server to connect to).

Some feedback on performance would be really helpful. I would like to
know how the connection is for other people. Here are some questions I
am trying to answer:
*How the speed compares with a normal Tor connection?
*For which [kind of] sites does it work well for? For which sites is
it too slow? In particular, how does it do with:
   -youtube?
   -news sites?
   -blogs?
   -social media?
*Does it ever stop loading or disconnect you from a website? Does it
ever disconnect you from the bridge?

Also, check out the trac ticket and/or the git repository every now
and then. I am still polishing off the code, so it might get faster.

Thanks for offering to help,
Alex