[tor-dev] XMPP Pluggable Transport

Alex Eftimiades alexeftimiades at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 18:17:59 UTC 2013

I have been working on creating an XMPP pluggable transport for Tor
for a couple of weeks now, and someone suggested I send an email to
this mailing list for suggestions.

At this point, my priorities are ordered as follows:
1. Speed--I can watch low quality youtube videos on a bad internet
connection, but there is a lot of down time while it buffers (not an
unbearable amount of time, but enough to be annoying). This has been a
big problem for a while, and I could really use some suggestions on
how to speed it up.

2. Full GTalk compatibility. It seems you need to be on a recipient's
contact list to send a message to them (at least without supplying a
resource). However, I currently use messages to send connection
requests to JIDs with unknown resources.  Then when they reply, their
resource is saved in a table. This technique works fine for everything
but GTalk, which of course is by far the fastest of the chat servers I
have tested.

3. Error handling--I need to make sure I take everything into account.
I do not have anything that can reestablish connections if one
computer disconnects from the chat server and reconnects. In fact, if
it acquires new resources (which is what happens on GTalk), the other
computers will be stuck sending messages to a JID with the wrong
resource. I am pretty sure I can come up with some ways of dealing
with this. Right now, looking for potential problems is just as
important as pointing out solutions to more obvious ones.

4. Security. I know security is important, but the nature of the
program just does not seem to admit many security threats. There are
really just three that I can see:
- The server can be told to connect to any ip:port by a client.
- The server and client exchange their Python interpreter's
sys.maxsize values (which could lead to profiling a computer's OS).
The former can be fixed with a whiltelist and the latter is not even
necessary (I just have not gotten around to tweaking that out of the
protocol yet).
- DoS. This would be relatively easy to take into account by limiting
the number of connections a bot is willing to accept. Then the chat
server itself will limit the amount of data sent from any one JID (for
better or worse).

If you think you are able/willing to help, read on for a summery of
the concept and protocol below. Even if you are not well versed in
XMPP protocols (I myself am learning as I go), just helping to test
the program would be a big help.

Thanks,
Alex Eftimiades

A brief summery of how the program works can be found here:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/9022#comment:42
, and is reproduced below:
---------------------------------------------<Summery of
concept

  When using hexchat, the data is sent to a local TCP socket running
hexchat (call it hexchat1). Hexchat1 then reads the data (thereby
stripping it of its TCP header) and passes it over a chat server to
another hexchat program (call it hexchat2) that sends the data to the
appropriate ip:port (giving it a new TCP header in the process).
The client thinks it is sending the data to hexchat1, and the server
thinks it is receiving data from hexchat2, but the data itself is
never changed. It might be broken into smaller chunks or combined into
bigger chunks, and it might be delivered at unpredictable rates, but
it is never altered.

---------------------------------------------</Summery of
concept

A more detailed overview of the protocol can be found in the protocol-
spec here, though I will summarize it:

---------------------------------------------<Summery of
protocol

When the program is started, it is told what JID(s) to use to connect
to a chat server, and possibly the following optional parameters:

1. An ip:port to listen on.

2. A JID.  Connection requests will be sent to this JID when a
connection is is made to the ip:port specified in (1).

3. Another ip:port. This is the ip:port the bot connected from the JID
in (2) should connect to. Note that any bot can connect to any ip:port
that client asks for. This could be a 127.0.0.1 address, or a remote
address (but will probably be the former). I plan to add a feature in
which you can provide a list of acceptable ip:ports to connect to and
refuse to connect to anything else (for security). However, that is
not a priority at the moment.

When a connection is made, the server and client exchange all JIDs
they are using to connect to the chat server so they can each rotate
through JIDs to send messages from and JIDs to send messages to. With
the exception of initial connections, all messages are sent as IQ
stanzas.

When data is sent, it is base 64 encoded and sent with an ID number
that is incremented each time a message is sent.

When data is received, the id is checked against the id of the last
message that resulted in writing data to a socket. The difference
between these two ids is used as an index in a buffer. Then, messages
are read from the buffer and sent to the appropriate socket.

When a socket closes, a disconnect message is sent. Like when sending
messages, an id stanza is included.

When a disconnect message is received, the bot checks if there are any
entries in the appropriate socket's message buffer. If not, it closes
the socket and deletes it from the routing table. If there are
messages in the buffer, the disconnect message is added to the buffer
at the appropriate index as a string "disconnect" as though it were
normal data. When a "disconnect" string is found in the buffer, the
socket is closed and deleted from the bot's routing table.

protocol