[tor-dev] License of TorDNSEL (was: Haskell packages?)

Nikita Karetnikov nikita at karetnikov.org
Sat Jun 8 15:58:06 UTC 2013

> There is exactly one such program:
> https://www.torproject.org/tordnsel/dist/

> On the bright side (for you, not for us) TorBEL never replaced it. We
> still use TorDNSEL to generate the exit-addresses files:
> https://exitlist.torproject.org/

I've found out that TorDNSEL is in the public domain (see [1]).  It's
OK, but I'm afraid that my (future) work will be proprietarized [2].
I'd prefer to relicense the whole thing under the GPLv3+ [3].  So
TorDNSEL will stay free software [2].  What do you think?

If you are OK with that, I'll talk to the FSF [4] to ensure that
everything is fine.  It shouldn't be too hard, but I have some
questions.  For instance, will it be OK to remove copyright notices from
sources because the license [1] says that "the 'Dedicator' [...] hereby
dedicates whatever copyright the dedicators holds in the work of
authorship [...] to the public domain"?

[1] https://gitweb.torproject.org/tordnsel.git/blob/HEAD:/LICENSE
[2] https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw
[3] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html