[tor-dev] Descriptor Monitors

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Tue Jul 30 00:39:24 UTC 2013

Hi all. Over this last weekend I started taking advantage of stem's
shiny new remote descriptor fetching module [1] to implement some
simple monitors...

* Descriptor Checker

Hourly task that downloads the server descriptors, extrainfo
descriptors, and consensus to check for malformed content. In the case
of the consensus this downloads from each of the authorities to also
ensure that they're all reachable...

https://gitweb.torproject.org/atagar/tor-utils.git/blob/HEAD:/descriptor_checker.py

* Sybil Checker

Replacement for the consensusTracker.py I've been running for the last
few years [2]. This checks for sudden influxes of new relays, such as
the trotsky relays from 2010 [3]...

https://gitweb.torproject.org/atagar/tor-utils.git/blob/HEAD:/sybil_checker.py

Cheers! -Damian

[1] https://stem.torproject.org/api/descriptor/remote.html