[tor-dev] Status report - Stream-RTT

ra r_a at lavabit.com
Sat Jul 27 00:53:18 UTC 2013

Hi all!

During the last weeks I have been very busy working on my GSoC project which
is about reducing the RTT of preemptively built circuits.

There is now a single script called "rttprober"[0] that depends on a
patched[1] Tor client running a certain configuration[2]. The goal is to
measure RTTs of Tor circuits. It takes a few parameters as input: an
authenticated Stem Tor controller for communication with the Tor client, the
number of circuits to probe, the number of probes to be taken for each circuit
and the number of circuits that should be probed concurrently. It outputs a
tar file containing lzo-compressed serialized data with detailed node
information, all circuit- and stream-events involved and the circuit build
time for further analysis.
Since the RTT-measurements are run in parallel with very short locks it is
important not to overload Tor nodes. Therefore a single node is not probed
more than once at a time.

A first analysis of some measurements taken supports the original assumption
that a Frechét distribution fits both the circuit build times[3] and round trip
times[4].

I will continue gathering and analyzing measurement data and will hopefully be
able to draw some conclusions from that.

Best,
Robert

[0] https://bitbucket.org/ra_/tor-
rtt/src/1127f6936086664981fc55b4dbc82b1570714140/rttprober.py?at=master
[1] https://bitbucket.org/ra_/tor-
rtt/src/1127f6936086664981fc55b4dbc82b1570714140/patches?at=master
[2] https://bitbucket.org/ra_/tor-
rtt/src/1127f6936086664981fc55b4dbc82b1570714140/torrc?at=master
[3] http://postimg.org/image/je8k5yydt/
[4] http://postimg.org/image/ktk90vxm7/