[tor-dev] Remote descriptor fetching

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Tue Jul 23 06:43:37 UTC 2013

>> - see the
>> example at the start of its docs...
>>
>> https://stem.torproject.org/api/descriptor/remote.html
>> https://stem.torproject.org/_modules/stem/descriptor/remote.html
>
> These two links don't work for me for some reason.

Very strange. It didn't work when I just tried clicking them from
another system but when I did a full refresh (ctrl+shift+r) it did.
Probably browser side caching.

>> PS. Where does an authority's v3ident come from? Presently I reference
>> users to the values in config.c but that's mostly because I'm confused
>> about what it is and how it differs from their fingerprint.
>
> The v3 identity is what v3 directory authorities use to sign their votes
> and consensuses.  Here's a better explanation of v3 identity keys:
>
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/blob/HEAD:/attic/v3-authority-howto.txt

I spotted that the v3ident is the same thing as the 'fingerprint' line
from the authority key certificates. In my humble opinion this
overloaded meaning of a relay fingerprint is confusing, and I'm not
clear why we'd reference authorities by the key fingerprint rather
than the relay fingerprint. But oh well. If there's anything we can
improve in the module pydocs then let me know.