[tor-dev] Orbot: request hidden service from other app

Nathan Freitas nathan at freitas.net
Wed Jan 9 18:48:34 UTC 2013

On 01/09/2013 10:35 PM, Bernd wrote:
> I'm going to write an Android app that needs a hidden service, specifically
> I want to implement a client for the TorChat protocol on Android. TorChat

This is great to hear. I had hoped someone would tackle this.

One idea is that you could implement this as a plug-in for Gibberbot,
instead of a standalone app. We have an architecture for this, and as of
our last release, multiple account support. I would be happy to work
with you to add any new/custom UI setup that might be needed.

> * request a hidden service on port xyz
> * have Orbot started automatically as a result of this
> * have Orbot automatically configure the HS as requested
> * tell the App what the hostname of that HS is.

We have created OnionKit library which is both for implementing strong
TLS/SSL support as well as interacting with Orbot:

You can find the library and sample project here:
https://github.com/guardianproject/onionkit

I am working on adding the hidden service request/callback support in
shortly. The Intent call already exists in Orbot itself. You can see a
prototype sample for this here:
https://github.com/guardianproject/OrbotTalk/blob/master/src/info/guardianproject/messenger/OrbotTalkActivity.java#L231

Best,
  Nathan