[tor-dev] Cupcake: browser extension for flash proxies

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Fri Jan 4 22:57:29 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 05:30:50PM -0500, Griffin Boyce wrote:
>   Made this extension for Google Chrome to extend the concept of the Flash
> Proxy, and make it easy for users to create bridges.  (and as a result cause a
> bunch of fairly robust bridges to be made).  The concept could be used in
> addons for FireFox, Opera, or Safari as well, since they all allow processes to
> run in the background.
>
> Benefits:
> * Allows people to opt-in to becoming flash proxies, rather than current
> opt-out model
> * Works in Chrome OS
> * Takes all guesswork out of making a bridge
> * Flash proxies made with Cupcake have a substantially longer uptime than those
> using site visitors
> * Uses less memory than either Tor BB or Vidalia
>
> Source code: https://github.com/glamrock/cupcake

Thank you for doing this. Would you please add this information to the
ticket at https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/7721? This is
the ticket for creating a browser addon. You can create an account or
use the anonymous account cypherpunks:writecode. There are people
watching the ticket who will be interested in helping you test.

We will probably be moving to an all-opt-in model for flash proxy. Your
addon should send the flashproxy-allow=1 cookie, if it doesn't already,
so that it will continue to work by default when we make that change.

> Now that I've tested it and it seems to work well, I'd love to get input and
> suggestions on it. If it's useful, I'll submit it to the Chrome Web
> Store. Right now it uses the Stanford project site's embed page. If there's
> much interest in this, I'll switch to a dedicated site since it's maybe not
> fair to send that many requests to them ^_^;

At this point, it will help if you can keep it pointing to the same
embed page. As we are on the verge of deployment, we may need to make
changes to the proxy program quickly.

David Fifield