[tor-dev] Damian's Status Report - December 2012

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Tue Jan 1 04:27:33 UTC 2013

Hi all. Between the holidays and being oncall for work I didn't have
very high hopes for December. However, by the time the dust settled it
turned out to be a surprisingly productive month. Projects included...

* Finishing stem support for event handling. This was the last major
feature we were missing before having feature parity with TorCtl.

* Ported arm and the consensus-tracker to stem [1][2]. The arm
migration went surprisingly smoothly, but there's still a lot of
cleanup work left to do here. Ideally arm will be a far simpler
codebase now that it doesn't need a wrapper module around the
controller.

* Moved stem's site to "https://stem.torproject.org/". [3]

* Smaller things include...

 * finally fixed the periodic freezes in arm [4]
 * uniform support for a default response in Controller getters [5]
 * vastly improved performance and memory usage for the ExitPolicy class
 * expansions for descriptor handling [6][7][8]
 * extend_circuit(), attach_stream(), and get_circuits() support
(patches by Ravi) [9][10]
 * TAKEOWNERSHIP support (thanks to Lunar^ for the initial patch) [11]
 * fixed a bug where circuit/stream ids were sometimes ints (caught by
Lunar^) [12]
 * added a post-authentication hook so event listeners can be reattached to Tor
 * several OPW discussions with Marina (we didn't get any substantial
applications)
 * added flash proxy and txtorcon to the volunteer page, and made lots
of general revisions [13][14][15]
 * discussed TorCtl deprecation with Mike and made the announcement [16]

* Besides this, Sean Robinson has been submitting an absurd number of
fixes, improvements, and code reviews of his own. Many thanks!

 * version pre-requirement checks for events and tests [17]
 * testing expansion for malformed events [18]
 * close_stream() method [19]
 * STREAM_BW event handling [20]
 * testing util expansion to make it easier to test client use cases [21]
 * get_socks_listeners() method and related mocking changes [22]
 * ... and many, many more [23][24][25][26][27][28][29][30][31][32][33][34][35]

Cheers! -Damian

[1] https://gitweb.torproject.org/arm.git/commitdiff/ca6026c?hp=d83f1ad
[2] https://gitweb.torproject.org/atagar/tor-utils.git/commitdiff/2e42c5d
[3] https://trac.torproject.org/7324