[tor-dev] Tor Browser Launcher

Micah Lee micahflee at riseup.net
Thu Feb 21 18:59:33 UTC 2013

Thanks for all this feedback!

On 02/19/2013 02:56 PM, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
>> https://github.com/ioerror/torbrowser-launcher/commit/bfe97f49e53c1de5a697216bbab3ac6eb5d20090#L0R64
>>
>> I'm not sure if arch is portable. I could easily switch it to uname -m,
>> if that's more portable.
>
> My guess is that uname -m is more portable; though I bet that os.uname
> or sys.platform in Python would be the most portable.

I'm now using os.uname(). This seems like the right way to do it.

>> https://github.com/ioerror/torbrowser-launcher/commit/bfe97f49e53c1de5a697216bbab3ac6eb5d20090#L0R82
>>
>> If HOME isn't set, what should happen? Should tbb_data be set to
>> /tmp/tbb-USER or something?
>>

> Well, I think that is an interesting question too. Are we sure that if
> HOME is set that we want to write to the disk? If so, I guess we should
> make a directory with mktemp or a similar Python call.

I opened a new bug for handling empty HOME env variable:

https://github.com/micahflee/torbrowser-launcher/issues/15

>> https://github.com/ioerror/torbrowser-launcher/commit/bfe97f49e53c1de5a697216bbab3ac6eb5d20090#L0R82
>>
>> Yeah, we should depend on tar I think.
>>

> I'd suggest libtarfile rather than tar - it is written in pure Python.

I didn't know about libtarfile. That seems like a much better solution.
I opened a bug for that too:

https://github.com/micahflee/torbrowser-launcher/issues/14

If you want to git pull, I've made it so everything just automatically
starts now, rather than waiting for the user to press the Start button.
The only exception is if the signature verification fails, this still
gives the user a choice.

--
Micah Lee
https://twitter.com/micahflee