[tor-dev] Vidalia 2.0 - an complete rewrite

Nick Mathewson nickm at alum.mit.edu
Thu Feb 21 17:17:28 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 11:12 AM, Leo Unglaub <leo at leo-unglaub.net> wrote:
> Hey guys,
> thanks for all the feedback. I am happy there is an interest from your
> part in this project.
>
> I am trying to answer to all of your questions below.
 [...]

>> I don't know very much about the Gnome architecture -- will this
>> work for users who aren't using the Gnome desktop?
>
> Yes, this will work for non-gnome users to. gnome-shell, mate, xfce,
> kde, lxde, windows, ... all are no problem. I never tryed it on a MAC
> but normally it should work there to.

Cool.

>> Are you aiming for portability?
>
> Yes, i am trying to support all plattforms. This is actually new to
> me, becuase normaly i develop only linux applications using vala. But
> i realize that people don't always have linux, so i am aiming to
> support them to. Hopefully with your help, because i don't have a mac
> to build dmg packages.

Nice. Python and GTK should make that fairly straightforward, I'd hope.

>> Also, what license are you thinking of going with?
>
> All my projects are released under the GPL/LGPL. But if the Tor
> project requires a different open source licence, i have no problem
> with double licences as long as they are open source and allow the
> user to do whatever they want to do with it.

Most of our stuff is 3-clause BSD, but Vidalia is IIRC GPL.  For
whatever it's worth,

 [...]
>> That would be... quite a substantial project.
>
> I am not quit sure of the meaning "substantial". Does this mean it's
> an important project or does this mean you think it's to large/huge to
> perform?

I think they mean "sounds like a lot of work!"  Still IMO worthwhile.

>> What language did you use?
>
> I used Python. Normally i am a Vala/C user, but i always wanted to try
> Python because so much users recommended it and this project seamed
> like a good idea to try it. So to answer your Question, it's Python
> 2.7 / 3. I am aiming to support both versions. Also i am trying to
> support PyPy for more speed.

Cool.  Is speed an issue for this?  I would have thought that there
wouldn't be very many slow things to do.

>> How long have you been working on this
>
> I have spend the last 2 weeks on it. If you are used to Vala thats not
> a lot of time for a project, but with python development is so damn
> fast. So i am actually pretty far with my plans.
>
> Currently i am working on the tor-control-specs implementation. Thats
> not 100% done yet. But most of the UI stuff is done and core functions
> like the param parsing, the config editors or some notification classes.

You might really want to check out stem or txtorconn before you do
another complete Python controller library implementation.

peace,
--
Nick