[tor-dev] Vidalia 2.0 - an complete rewrite

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Thu Feb 21 17:08:39 UTC 2013

> All my projects are released under the GPL/LGPL. But if the Tor
> project requires a different open source licence, i have no problem
> with double licences as long as they are open source and allow the
> user to do whatever they want to do with it.

Vidalia and arm are both GPL, Stem is LGPL, but Tor itself is BSD.

> I am not quit sure of the meaning "substantial". Does this mean it's
> an important project or does this mean you think it's to large/huge to
> perform?

I just meant that making and maintaining a good replacement for
Vidalia is no small task. :)

> I used Python. Normally i am a Vala/C user, but i always wanted to try
> Python because so much users recommended it and this project seamed
> like a good idea to try it. So to answer your Question, it's Python
> 2.7 / 3. I am aiming to support both versions. Also i am trying to
> support PyPy for more speed.

Great!

> Currently i am working on the tor-control-specs implementation. Thats
> not 100% done yet. But most of the UI stuff is done and core functions
> like the param parsing, the config editors or some notification classes.

Are you aware of Stem and Txtorcon? If not then they should make
interacting with Tor far, far nicer...

https://stem.torproject.org/
https://txtorcon.readthedocs.org/

If you end up using stem then let me know if there's anything I can do
to make it better suit your needs! It is now the backend for arm
(http://www.atagar.com/arm/) so it should have everything you need for
a Tor UI and if it doesn't I'd be glad to work with you to extend it.

Cheers! -Damian