[tor-dev] Proposal: Controller events to better understand connection/circuit usage

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Wed Feb 20 07:15:59 UTC 2013

On 2/19/13 5:45 PM, Damian Johnson wrote:
>> I think we should add two more fields
>> InboundName and OutboundName to CELL_STATS events.  These fields would
>> contain LongName ($CC88FB3B78599580F1EE4F6F73E26A7EC3DF2CA1~tokenconn)
>> or Target (like 60.1.0.0:10002) of the previous or next node in a
>> circuit.
>
> Maybe it would make more sense to have an InboundName/OutboundName
> field for the LongName and InboundDestination/OutboundDestination for
> the address/port? In general overloading the type that a field can
> have isn't a good idea.

In general, I agree.  Here, I re-used the code that adds a LongName or
Target to CIRC events.  It's a single function call that returns the
best information tor has about the remote end of a connection.  My idea
was that controllers that can parse CIRC events can re-use that code to
parse these fields in CELL_STATS events.  Does that make sense?

Best,
Karsten