[tor-dev] Tor Browser Launcher

adrelanos adrelanos at riseup.net
Tue Feb 19 06:31:46 UTC 2013

Jacob Appelbaum:
> adrelanos:
>> Micah Lee:

>>> Interesting idea. Anyone else have opinions on this? I think I'd be fine
>>> giving people the alpha, but I also don't want to annoy people with too
>>> many bugs.
>>
>> No, please no alphas by default. This defeats the purpose of alphas. As
>> a fast solution: stable only. As a medium solution: allow choosing
>> stable or alpha. As an ideal solution: allow both to coexist.
>>

> This is all alpha software, no?

No.

I know, it's not your voice, but the Tor blog frequently talks about
"New Tor Browser Bundles" and different "Alpha Bundles Available for
Testing"

https://blog.torproject.org/category/tags/tor-browser-bundle

"2.4.7-alpha-1-Linux-i386"
https://www.torproject.org/dist/torbrowser/linux/tor-browser-gnu-linux-i686-2.4.9-alpha-1-dev-en-US.tar.gz

is "more Alpha" than

"2.3.25-2-Linux-i686"
https://www.torproject.org/dist/torbrowser/linux/tor-browser-gnu-linux-i686-2.3.25-2-dev-en-US.tar.gz

>From a user perspective accustomed using the default download from
torproject.org (for my os) of TBB, I think the logical course of action
for a download automating tool (Tor Browser Launcher) is also using the
default download.

I enjoy that there is some testing of the ("more") alpha bundles before
I get it presented as the "more stabilized but still alpha" bundles -
even though all anonymity tools are in their overall nature still alpha.