[tor-dev] Fwd: [guardian-dev] Building OpenSSL and Xtables for Orbot

Nathan Freitas nathan at freitas.net
Sat Dec 28 14:32:40 UTC 2013

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [guardian-dev] Building OpenSSL and Xtables for Orbot
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 09:28:57 -0500
From: Nathan of Guardian <nathan at guardianproject.info>
To: Guardian Dev <guardian-dev at lists.mayfirst.org>

For a long time, building an up-to-date OpenSSL and iptables binary was
a challenge for apps like Orbot which need it. Figuring out all the
various flags and patches necessary was quite tricky, and the version
bundles in the AOSP code were quite out of date.

I am happy to say that both through my own persistence, recent patches
by a few others, and improvements in the Android NDK toolchain, we can
down build the latest OpenSSL and XTables/Iptables code from the
original, direct git source.

This means we have all the latest ciphers for Tor to use in order to
better obscure traffic, and we have a bundled xtables binary in Orbot
that can handle all of the transproxying rules we need, no matter what
the built-in rooted firmware provides.

You can find the updates build instructions in the Orbot external
Makefile here:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/n8fr8/orbot.git/blob/HEAD:/external/Makefile

We will have beta of the new release, based on Tor 0.2.4.20 shortly.

+n

Post: Guardian-dev at lists.mayfirst.org