[tor-dev] Does TLS round-trip optimization apply do Tor?

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Tue Dec 24 17:38:37 UTC 2013

AFAIK Optimizations that reduce round trips, including that one, are very
desirable for websites accessed over Tor. The communication with a website
uses TCP, SSL, and HTTP as normal, TCP acks, etc are still needed and
transported over SOCKS. So optimizations there will reduce time to first
byte for the website accessed over Tor, and with Tor's increased latency,
it's even more pronounced. Win.

But for TLS used in Tor itself, it's not as analogous. The analogous
optimization would be looking at the cell  protocol and see if cells are
small enough to fit in the initial congestion window.  I don't know, but
what I would look for is something like Alice sending cells to Bob, but Bob
can't reply to Alice's cells because Bob needs more data, but Alice needs
to hear Bob's ACK before sending the rest of the data.