[tor-dev] Does TLS round-trip optimization apply do Tor?

Benedikt Gollatz ben at differentialschokolade.org
Tue Dec 24 11:46:06 UTC 2013

> http://www.igvita.com/2013/12/16/optimizing-nginx-tls-time-to-first-byte
>
> I've been thinking whenever that kind of optimization does apply also to
> Tor or not?

Tor uses TLS only for node-to-node transport encryption. Any
improvements to Tor's TLS behaviour would therefore only result in
occasionally faster circuit building times. This may be nice to have,
but because Tor builds circuits preemptively and therefore can switch
circuits quickly, I doubt that this is an actual bottleneck in the system.

Benedikt