[tor-dev] Trivial patch: avoid redundant calls to ENGINE_register_all_complete

Nick Mathewson nickm at alum.mit.edu
Thu Dec 19 03:05:23 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM, coderman <coderman at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello all, Nick,
>
> per the other thread in tor-talk about RDRAND, this is the minor fix
> for OpenSSL 1.0.1+ mentioned.
>
> i don't know that this is useful, and i am still giving the engine
> code a thorough review per Nick's other feedback: "Above all, do not
> assume
> that you understand how OpenSSL works until you have investigated with
> a debugger, the source code, and a pot of coffee." :)
>

> best regards,

Hi, coderman!  Is there any actual harm in the redundant invocation of
ENGINE_register_all_complete(), or is this about cleanliness/saving
cycles/something else?

Assuming it's not actually harmful, I'd prefer to leave the call in,
with a comment that it isn't necessary any longer. When crypto
libraries make a formerly necessary thing optional, I often find that
leaving it in can make us a little less bug prone in the long run.

peace,
--
Nick