[tor-dev] Statistics on fraction of connections used uni-/bidirectionally

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Wed Dec 18 09:51:46 UTC 2013

Hi Rob, Florian,

thanks for your replies!  If you say these statistics may still be
useful, then let's leave them in!

I just worked on a slightly better visualization of the available data.
 The idea is that the most interesting piece of information, AIUI, is
what fraction of connections is used bidirectionally; whether the rest
is used mostly for writing or reading doesn't really matter.  I also
aggregated observations similar to Torperf measurements, by plotting
only median and interquartile range.  Here's the result:

https://people.torproject.org/~karsten/volatile/connbidirect-2013-09-19-2013-12-18.png

The old graph containing the same data is still there:

https://metrics.torproject.org/performance.html?graph=connbidirect&start=2013-09-19&end=2013-12-18#connbidirect

Do you like the new graph?  Do you have further ideas for improving it?

This graph is only there to show what kind of data we have.  If somebody
is really interested in the data, they'll have to download the CSV file
and do their own analysis.  Here's the specification of the file format:

https://metrics.torproject.org/stats.html#connbidirect

All the best,
Karsten