[tor-dev] InjectSOCKS: 2nd try

tor at herr-der-mails.de tor at herr-der-mails.de
Tue Dec 10 19:27:14 UTC 2013

Hello David,

thank you for your reaction. I've read some information about
"Torsocks" now and yes, it seems to be similar. Unfortunately the
information on Torsocks's homepage is rather short. So I can't tell
you if the internal technology is similar.
It tells that it explicitly rejects UDP traffic. It would be possible
to block UDP traffic in InjectSOCKS as well. By the way, why does Tor
not support UDP via SOCKS?
The Torsocks documents also say that it blocks local traffic as well.
While implementing InjectsSOCKS I saw that some Windows software
needs local traffic in order to work for internal inter process
communication (maybe Internet Explorer - not sure anymore). So I've
explicitly prevented using the SOCKS server for local traffic
(wouldn't make sense) and don't reject it - otherwise this software
wouldn't work anymore.

> Do you think you can put your code into a git repository (github,
> gitourious, ...). That would be *very* helpful to review/contribute
> and track changes.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with git. However, the source code is
rather small. The most important parts are in InjectSOCKS_DLL.c
The sources are already commented a little bit, but I think that I'll
add Visual C++ XML or doxygen style documentation. This way it's
easier to understand and review/analyze the code. For the moment I'd
like to suggest sending me any change suggestions or questions via
e-mail. If we detect that this is not manageable, we can still switch
to a different solution.

By the way, I've released V1.1 of InjectSOCKS now. This adds the BSD
license text and a dialog for creating a Windows shortcut file to
call InjectSOCKS correctly. The dialog pops up when you start
InjectSOCKS without any parameter. This helps users not familiar with
the command line.
Known bug: There is a small possible memory leak in the function
"CreateLink" of that dialog; it will be fixed in the next release :-)

Regards,
ghostmaker