[tor-dev] InjectSOCKS: 2nd try

David Goulet dgoulet at ev0ke.net
Mon Dec 9 19:07:22 UTC 2013

Hi!

On 06 Dec (18:59:33), tor at herr-der-mails.de wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've first sent this e-mail to help at rt.torproject.org and the answer
> was to send a copy of it to the "tor-dev mailing list". So that's
> what I do:
>
> I just wanted to let you know that I've created a small new tool for
> Windows called InjectSOCKS that can force other Windows software to
> do TCP connections via SOCKS. This way software not supporting SOCKS
> can be used together with Tor. You don't need any additional HTTP
> proxy or other proxies. As an example it works for passive FTP, too.
> Additionally it handles the DNS requests of that other software in a
> way that while creating the SOCKS connection, Tor gets the textual
> address - so the exit node can resolve it (which is the way favored
> by the Tor developers). This way Tor hidden services work as well.
> And it works per Windows process, so it doesn't influence the whole
> operating system.

This is really great. I didn't look at the code but getting Windows
support in torsocks would be awesome! Not sure yet how much work it
would require but definitely having it would be amazing.

> In case you're interested in my software, I've put it on sourceforge
> to make it open source:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/injectsocks
> The tool is far from being perfect yet, but I think some of the ideas
> are interesting.

Do you think you can put your code into a git repository (github,
gitourious, ...). That would be *very* helpful to review/contribute and
track changes.

Thanks!
David