[tor-dev] Damian's Status Report - November 2013

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Sun Dec 8 20:12:14 UTC 2013

Hi all. Work and life is conspiring to keep me busier than usual. What
time was left this November mostly went toward non-development
activities. I miss coding...

Tor Ecosystem Presentation

On 11/18 I gave a presentation at Seattle's TA3M overviewing projects
in the Tor ecosystem, with an eye toward getting more developers
involved...

Presentation: https://archive.org/download/t3am-seattle-nov2013/damian_johnson.mp4
Slides: https://www.atagar.com/transfer/tor_ecosystem/

Preparing for this gobbled up a surprising amount of time (I don't do
much public speaking), but I'm really happy with how it turned out.
I'll likely give this presentation again at other local venues, such
as LinuxFest Northwest in the spring.

Email List Management

Much of this last month went toward managing our lists and leading a
discussion about what we'd like to do with our non-public lists. Work
on this is ongoing, but at the very least we'll finally get a public,
documented process for adding folks...

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/internalLists

I also sunk several hours into a frustrating GMail issue where it
bounces Mailman's moderator queue as spam...

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/gmail/ask-a-how-to-question/reading-and-receiving-messages/mozilla-firefox/7U5EjwHJenU

At one point this seems to have been responsible for unsubscribing
everyone using GMail from tor-assistants at . I've changed Mailman's
configuration so this hopefully won't happen again, but I'm out of
ideas for the GMail bounces.

Other news this month includes...

* Fixed an important Stem ImportError under Windows. This resulted in a hotfix
  release of Stem (version 1.1.1). [1]
* Added Stem support for the new event types from proposal 218. [2]
* Code reviewed Philipp's ExitMap project. [3]
* Read over tbbscraper and added to Stem's examples page. [4]
* Helped provide stats for the impact of changing tor's default exit
  policy. [5]

Cheers! -Damian

[1] https://trac.torproject.org/10072
[2] https://gitweb.torproject.org/stem.git/commitdiff/e8c916b?hp=ae6d978