[tor-dev] InjectSOCKS: 2nd try

Nick Mathewson nickm at alum.mit.edu
Fri Dec 6 18:07:58 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 12:59 PM,  <tor at herr-der-mails.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've first sent this e-mail to help at rt.torproject.org and the answer
> was to send a copy of it to the "tor-dev mailing list". So that's
> what I do:
>
> I just wanted to let you know that I've created a small new tool for
> Windows called InjectSOCKS that can force other Windows software to
> do TCP connections via SOCKS. This way software not supporting SOCKS
> can be used together with Tor. You don't need any additional HTTP
> proxy or other proxies. As an example it works for passive FTP, too.
> Additionally it handles the DNS requests of that other software in a
> way that while creating the SOCKS connection, Tor gets the textual
> address - so the exit node can resolve it (which is the way favored
> by the Tor developers). This way Tor hidden services work as well.
> And it works per Windows process, so it doesn't influence the whole
> operating system.
> In case you're interested in my software, I've put it on sourceforge
> to make it open source:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/injectsocks
> The tool is far from being perfect yet, but I think some of the ideas
> are interesting.
>
> By the way, I've also created DNS2SOCKS, which is already listed on
> Tor's Wiki:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/dns2socks
> It seems like several people like it, so I hope that some people
> will also like InjectSOCKS.

Hi, Ghostmaker!

This sounds cool; I hope I have a chance to start looking through the code soon.

One quick question that I didn't see on the website or in the codebase
-- what license are you distributing this under?  Assuming that you
didn't use anybody else's code to write it, you can pick any open
source license that you'd like -- but without a license, people
technically don't have permission to read or modify your software.

Most of Tor is under the fairly permissive 3-clause BSD license;
Torsocks is under the more restrictive "GPL v2 or later"; and if you
want to explicitly disclaim all rights, the CC0 public domain grant is
probably the best public domain grant to use.

best wishes,
--
Nick