[tor-dev] Using Stem's descriptor fetching module to replace the Java consensus-health checker

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Tue Aug 20 16:51:58 UTC 2013

On 8/20/13 6:21 PM, Damian Johnson wrote:
>>> Done...
>>>
>>> https://gitweb.torproject.org/atagar/tor-utils.git/commitdiff/e6d378a
>>>
>>> Btw, it looks like they presently *are* out of sync...
>>>
>>> NOTICE: Authorities disagree about the BadExit flag for
>>> 7E6A3AA70A156167E7AE543E50EF54321EC80AF0 (with flag: Faravahar, without
>>> flag: tor26, moria1)
>>> NOTICE: Authorities disagree about the BadExit flag for
>>> ADF62D3A1305F0B5404D41EEDADA68ECD294FC60 (with flag: Faravahar, without
>>> flag: tor26, moria1)
>>
>> Are you sure?  AFAIK, Faravahar never voted on BadExit.  Which
>> valid-after time was this?
>
> Ack! Had a bug...
>
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/atagar/tor-utils.git/commitdiff/9b8a883
>
> tor26 and moria1 actually did disagree about those fingerprints, but
> Faravahar isn't involved. Odd, I thought we had three authorities
> voting on the BadExit flag.

Interesting that tor26 and moria1 disagreed.  Just confirmed this for
the votes from 01:00:00 UTC today.  Looks like this warning is going to
be quite useful.  Great!

I think turtles was voting on BadExit but stopped doing so a short while
ago.

>> Peter runs the IRC bot.  The interface on which it accepts input is
>> simply an email address.  You could send it the same content that you
>> send to the mailing list, or a different output.
>
> Sounds good. If he tells me the address I'll send notifications to it.

Okay.  Please talk to him about details here.

>> Sure, we can do that.  The easiest way would be that I run your script
>> on yatei.  Should I do that, similar to how I run DocTor on it?
>
> Could, the only gotcha is that it's presently sending through my
> auxiliary gmail account so we'll need to swap it to
> metrics at yatei.torproject.org (or something else) first. How are you
> sending emails?

`cat out/status/all-warnings | mail -E -s 'Consensus issues'
tor-consensus-health at lists.torproject.org`

Don't ask me how the mail setup on yatei looks like.  "It just works."

>> We can later give you access to yatei (which you'll also need for
>> co-co-maintaining metrics services), or we could run the script on a
>> new, tiny VM.
>
> My vote would be for another VM since this is relatively unrelated to
> the present metrics infrastructure.

Here's a draft of a Trac ticket I was just about to file.  Figured it's
better to agree on requirements first before asking Peter to create a VM
that is too small/large.  Please file it or tell me to do so:

"""
Damian rewrote the consensus-health checker which currently runs on
yatei.  We'd like to deploy his new tool on a new VM, unrelated to
yatei.  Can we have a tiny VM for this, say, with 256 MiB RAM and 1 GiB
free disk space?  It should have a doctor user that atagar and karsten
can `sudo -u` to.  Thanks!
"""

Component: Tor Sysadmin Team

>> I prefer repository names that aren't too descriptive, because if we
>> ever want to extend or narrow scope of a tool, the name might confuse
>> new people.  That's what happened to metrics-db which doesn't even use a
>> database anymore since I split off the metrics-web part.
>
> Good point.
>
>> How about we add your script to the DocTor repository?  Again, to be
>> quick, you could simply send me a patch produced with `git format-patch`
>> or tell me a repository to pull from.
>>
>> And if we want to do this right, we should give you a personal
>> doctor.git and push rights to the official doctor.git.
>
> Sounds good! Would you mind filing the ticket to grant me push
> permission for doctor.git and create a user/atagar/doctor.git repo?
> I'll then push my tor-utils.git history into a new branch in
> doctor.git.

Added as #9545.

All the best,
Karsten