[tor-dev] Draft of proposal "Stop HS address enumeration by HSDirs"

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 11:05:18 UTC 2013

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 1:51 AM, Moritz Bartl <moritz at torservers.net> wrote:
>>>   mfrggzdfmztwq2lknnwg23tpobyxe43uov3ho6dzpjaueq2eivda.onion ?
>
> characters that aren’t URL-safe: plus (+), slash (/), and equals (=).
> Y64 encoding replaces these with dot (.), underscore (_), and dash (-),
>
> Or would case sensitivity be too crazy?

I think about
DNS - Aka non-tor-internal implementations of it in onionland.
Although dns has grown up nearer to a binary db, it was insensitive
and with a narrow character range and length. Things from client
app to local resolver to DNS server may be affected.
/ - %2F in URI, but it does cause problems when various
software apps choose to write that filesystem reserved
character to disk un-escaped, or send it to web that way.
Functions - That they exist in Python, Perl, etc to
convert this to/from hex/binary/etc.
16chars - Not 100% easy to memorize, so [even very] longer
may not be a huge problem... see i2p, freenet, gnunet, etc.
OnionCat/IPv6 - But extending beyond 80 bits facing will break this I
think. I've seen some proposal on zzz.i2p for this re: their >80 bits.