[tor-dev] Draft of proposal "Stop HS address enumeration by HSDirs"

Nick Mathewson nickm at alum.mit.edu
Sat Aug 17 01:07:39 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 5:10 PM, grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:

> In current rend-spec.txt we have Sec 1.3, v2 descriptors are used
> post 0.2.2.1-alpha, specifically...
>
> descriptor-id =
>  H(permanent-id | H(time-period | descriptor-cookie | replica))

Isn't the permanent-key field, described in that same section, the
long term public key of the hidden service? I believe it is (unless
stealth auth is used), and if it is, it's trivial to learn the .onion
address given a hidden service descriptor.

(It can apparently be different when the "Stealth auth" feature from
section 2.2 is in place, but I don't believe that's widely used, and
it isn't an answer to the enumeration issue.)

cheers,
--
Nick