[tor-dev] Globe without search term

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Tue Aug 13 07:20:12 UTC 2013

On 8/12/13 10:56 PM, Christian wrote:
> I've seen that you've included the field parameter to limit the fields
> that onionoo returns.
> Do you think it would be better to use the field parameter and show a
> limited amount of data or try to get everything and only display the
> fields that have a value?

You mean for details pages?  I'd say display everything that has a
value.  Unless I didn't understand your question.

But here's something else that just came to mind that you could do with
the fields parameter: in the search part, instead of sending a request
for the summary document, just request the details documents, but only
ask for the fields you're planning to display in the table.  Once the
user wants to see the details page, you'll have to fetch the full
details for that relay or bridge.  But you should be able to save quite
a few requests and make the client application even more responsive.

> Btw I had an idea to create a small js snippet that allows users to show
> data of an relay or bridge. It would use the onionoo api to send a
> request with a given fingerprint and renders the result in a small piece
> of html. This way someone won't need to link to a specified globe/atlas
> page and can directly show visitors information about an relay/bridge.
> I don't know if it would be useful for anyone. What's your opinion on that?

Sounds very useful and related to this Onionoo client idea stated on
Onionoo's project page:

"Social network site plugin: Add a plugin to the social network site of
your choice to show your friends what Tor relays and bridges you're
running and how that helps users around the world."

(from https://www.torproject.org/projects/onionoo.html.en)

I believe that a student of Steven Murdoch is working on something like
this for a school/university project.  I hear they might be looking for
testers really soon.  Maybe you can help out there, or at least learn
what design choices they made and either copy them or do things
differently.  I'm cc'ing Steven, so you can get in touch with him and
his student more easily.

All the best,
Karsten