[tor-dev] Stem Integ tests for Tor

Ashish Patil cool_asis_is at yahoo.in
Tue Apr 30 14:29:47 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 17:44 PM, Nick Mathewson <nickm at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Right now, all chutney
> does is configure and launch a small Tor network, but the small
> network requires a little babysitting to make it bootstrap. (For
> example, you sometimes need to send the clients a SIGHUP once the
> authorities have made their first consensus.

So, the first bits for improving chutney would be to automate the
network generation as much as possible (leaving no loose ends)?

> What Chutney doesn't do (but should!) is actually test the network it
> launches. Right now, to make sure the network has bootstrapped, you
> have to read through its log files.  If you want to test the network
> with any traffic, you need to use an application of your choice to
> send traffic through one of the Tor clients, and verify that the
> output as is expected. And if you want to make sure that Tor is
> running without weird warnings, you need to manually inspect the
> log files again.  It would be good if Chutney grew into, or were
> replaced by, a tool that could actually do testing right that.

Now, we want chutney to be robust enough to encompass all the manual
that is mentioned above & automate it as much as possible or atleast
print the tasks to be performed by the tester sequentially. We would
need a set of static reliable web pages if we want to automate the
traffic testing?

Also, we would parse the log files for errors or warnings so that
we dont have to manually check for them.

  * Construct a circuit to an exit which allows port 80 and request a
site through it.
  * Do the same for an exit which rejects port 80.
  * Construct a one-hop circuit through an exit.
  * Try to use a circuit that runs through a bridge.
  * Let tor pick the path of a circuit and assert that the first
relay's a guard and the last is an exit.
  * Attempt to request a page from a hidden service.
  * Host a hidden service and request something from ourselves.
  * Act as a relay and try to construct a circuit that includes ourselves.

As Damian listed down all the tests one needs to carry out for actual
network testing (keeping in mind unreliability of the network at times),
what all additional tests would we like chutney to have?