[tor-dev] TorBEL migration

Sreenatha Bhatlapenumarthi sreenatha.dev at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 01:17:29 UTC 2013

Hi,

  My name is Sreenatha Bhatlapenumarthi. I'd like to migrate TorBEL
  from TorCtl to Stem as a part of GSoC'13 project this summer.

  Damian pointed out that there is still some improvement to be made to
  TorBEL to replace DNSEL. I've downloaded the source code from [0] and
  started looking around for missing functionality and components that use
  TorCtl(and hence need migration) and here is what I've observed:

   - TorBEL components that use TorCtl
      - Controller - control.py
      - Logger - logger.py
      - Router - router.py
      - Tests - tests.py
      - The main interface - torbel
   - Exit policies of narrow_exit routers can be checked in
   Router.will_exit_to[1]
   - RouterRecord.update_to()[2] can use "Router Status Entry"
   descriptors[3] to update the router's attributes
   - I think the following line[4] in network.py has a bug -
   socket.inet_aton works only for IPv4 addresses[5].
      -  (ip,) = struct.unpack(">I", socket.inet_aton(peer.host))

 Please let me know if I've missed something or got something wrong.

 I donot have any background on Haskell as such but if you recommend that I
 learn it inorder to understand TorDNSEL, I am prepared to spend the
required
 amount of time learning it during May before the coding period starts.
Also, can
 you give me a rough estimate of how long you think the migration will take
so that
 I can plan the project timeline accordingly?

 Thanks for taking your time out to read this.

[0] - https://git.torproject.org/torbel.git
[1] - https://github.com/lucyd/torbel/blob/master/query.py#L85
[2] - https://github.com/lucyd/torbel/blob/master/router.py#L125
[3] -