[tor-dev] TorBEL migration
sreenatha.dev at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 01:17:29 UTC 2013
My name is Sreenatha Bhatlapenumarthi. I'd like to migrate TorBEL
from TorCtl to Stem as a part of GSoC'13 project this summer.
Damian pointed out that there is still some improvement to be made to
TorBEL to replace DNSEL. I've downloaded the source code from  and
started looking around for missing functionality and components that use
TorCtl(and hence need migration) and here is what I've observed:
- TorBEL components that use TorCtl
- Controller - control.py
- Logger - logger.py
- Router - router.py
- Tests - tests.py
- The main interface - torbel
- Exit policies of narrow_exit routers can be checked in
- RouterRecord.update_to() can use "Router Status Entry"
descriptors to update the router's attributes
- I think the following line in network.py has a bug -
socket.inet_aton works only for IPv4 addresses.
- (ip,) = struct.unpack(">I", socket.inet_aton(peer.host))
Please let me know if I've missed something or got something wrong.
I donot have any background on Haskell as such but if you recommend that I
learn it inorder to understand TorDNSEL, I am prepared to spend the
amount of time learning it during May before the coding period starts.
you give me a rough estimate of how long you think the migration will take
I can plan the project timeline accordingly?
Thanks for taking your time out to read this.
 - https://git.torproject.org/torbel.git
 - https://github.com/lucyd/torbel/blob/master/query.py#L85
 - https://github.com/lucyd/torbel/blob/master/router.py#L125
 - https://github.com/lucyd/torbel/blob/master/network.py#L75
 - http://docs.python.org/2/library/socket.html#socket.inet_aton
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the tor-dev