[tor-dev] Stem Integ tests for Tor

Nick Mathewson nickm at alum.mit.edu
Mon Apr 29 17:44:04 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 11:00 PM, Damian Johnson <atagar at torproject.org> wrote:
> 3. Once we have a decently reliable set of tests to check basic tor
> functionality move on to chutney. Nick would be able to best advise on
> the work needed there.

What we'd need most for Chutney would be to make it a bit more robust,
and to use it to build a real set of tests.  Right now, all chutney
does is configure and launch a small Tor network, but the small
network requires a little babysitting to make it bootstrap. (For
example, you sometimes need to send the clients a SIGHUP once the
authorities have made their first consensus.)

What Chutney doesn't do (but should!) is actually test the network it
launches. Right now, to make sure the network has bootstrapped, you
have to read through its log files.  If you want to test the network
with any traffic, you need to use an application of your choice to
send traffic through one of the Tor clients, and verify that the
output as is expected. And if you want to make sure that Tor is
running without weird warnings, you need to manually inspect the
logfiles again.  It would be good if Chutney grew into, or were
replaced by, a tool that could actually do testing right that.

best wishes,
--
Nick