[tor-dev] Remote anonymous browsing

Paul Syverson syverson at itd.nrl.navy.mil
Wed Apr 17 02:49:38 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 12:46:17AM +0000, Matthew Finkel wrote:

> 4) Who do you trust? With this remote-proxy, it really depends on what
> you're looking to gain from using the Tor network. Are you looking for a
> censorship circumvention tool? Then you probably don't want to use a
> remote-proxy node run by the censorer or any of it's allies. If you're
> looking to remain anonymous...well, anonymous with respect to whom,
> I suppose?

Actually, if you could log in remotely to an interface that isn't
obviously a gateway to Tor and the proxy/bridge there was one that you
ran yourself or otherwise trusted, this could be an easy way to make
sure your transport didn't look like it was talking a Tor protocol
(because it wouldn't be talking Tor protocol).  That's just off the
top of my head, but the point is that there could be scenarios where
this could support circumvention as well as anonymity.

aloha,
Paul