[tor-dev] Help me test Tor Browser Launcher

adrelanos adrelanos at riseup.net
Wed Apr 10 18:32:40 UTC 2013

Micah Lee:
> It gets the current recommended version of TBB to install from:
> https://check.torproject.org/RecommendedTBBVersions

Good.

> I've noticed that sometimes these are alphas, but sometimes they
> aren't.

> I'm not sure who updates that document, or how they choose
> what versions to recommend.

I haven't found out that either until now.

> But I believe that's also what TorButton
> uses to check for updates.

Yes, however, Tor Button will never (at least never happened to me)
advise an alpha version, when you are using the non-alpha.

> Before finding out about that URL, I was considering downloading
> https://www.torproject.org/dist/torbrowser/linux/ and programatically
> guessing what version to pick,

> but RecommendedTBBVersions is a much
> saner approach.

Yes.

Assuming it will be always:

[
"2.3.25-6-MacOS",
"2.3.25-6-Windows",
"2.3.25-6-Linux",
"2.4.11-alpha-2-MacOS",
"2.4.11-alpha-2-Windows",
"2.4.11-alpha-2-Linux"
]

Or.

[
"2.4.11-alpha-2-MacOS",
"2.4.11-alpha-2-Windows",
"2.4.11-alpha-2-Linux"
"2.3.25-6-MacOS",
"2.3.25-6-Windows",
"2.3.25-6-Linux",
]

(If the decision is to make non-alpha default for all users....)

Speaking /bin/bash...

Just grep for "alpha" and ignore those line. (Unless you're adding an
option to prefer the alpha version.)

Ignore "Windows" and "MacOS" as well.

What's left is
"2.3.25-6-Linux",
remove the ", using sed,
remove the other " using sed.

Whats left is "2.3.25-6-Linux", remove the "-Linux" with sed and you're
done, ending up with "2.3.25-6".

Works well for Whonix. Implementation:
https://github.com/adrelanos/Whonix/blob/development/whonix_shared/usr/local/bin/whonixcheck-scripts/help_tbbversion

There is most likely a more elegant/clever way in bash / java script
(didn't check how Tor Button phrases it) / python.