[tor-dev] Help me test Tor Browser Launcher

Micah Lee micahflee at riseup.net
Wed Apr 10 18:18:20 UTC 2013

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 02:00:34 +0000
adrelanos <adrelanos at riseup.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've tested it... Building works like a charm.
>
> Well, if this is a request for testing, it should perhaps be posted to
> tor-talk?

Good idea. I'll email tor-talk too.

> It downloads the Tor Browser Alpha Bundle. Is that a decision which
> has been made for all users of this download method?
>
> I really can't follow that logic. The Tor Blog always announces Alpha
> Bundles (which are a few versions ahead) and bundles, which are not
> called Alpha. The Tor Homepage doesn't recommend downloading the Alpha
> version as default download. If the Alpha is the new default for
> everyone, why still produce the other builds, which are not called
> alpha?

It gets the current recommended version of TBB to install from:
https://check.torproject.org/RecommendedTBBVersions

I've noticed that sometimes these are alphas, but sometimes they
aren't. I'm not sure who updates that document, or how they choose
what versions to recommend. But I believe that's also what TorButton
uses to check for updates.

Before finding out about that URL, I was considering downloading
https://www.torproject.org/dist/torbrowser/linux/ and programatically
guessing what version to pick, but RecommendedTBBVersions is a much
saner approach.

--
Micah Lee
https://twitter.com/micahflee