[tor-dev] Find running Tors

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Mon Apr 1 23:23:17 UTC 2013

>> [..] plus maybe another library that would find a running Tor or
>> launch one as needed.
>
> Are there ideas/designs written down for this anywhere? I am
> interested in seeing this happen -- I took a very quick stab at it in
> txtorcon but realized it would be Much Better if this had co-operation
> from Tor processes running on the system.

Arm needed a capability like this so it can provide useful messaging
(ie "Tor isn't running" vs "Tor's running, but without a control
port"). This is done via the 'get_pid_by_*' methods in stem's system
module...

https://gitweb.torproject.org/stem.git/blob/HEAD:/stem/util/system.py

Is that the sort of thing that you're looking for? -Damian