[tor-dev] Damian's Status Report - March 2013

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Mon Apr 1 02:21:05 UTC 2013

Hi all. Even without counting the Boston dev meeting March was a
highly productive month. Noteworthy things include...

* Stem Tutorials

Stem's tutorials got an overhaul, including:

  * A much friendlier layout. No more intimidating wall of text - the
tutorials have been rewritten and broken into subsections.
  * "To Russia With Love" tutorial, exemplifying client usage and
programmatically managing a tor process.
  * "Tortoise and the Hare" tutorial, demoing tor event handling
through a curses bandwidth graph.
  * "Double Double Toil and Trouble", which ends the tutorials with a
page of scripts and applications that use stem.

Feedback welcome! The shiny new tutorials are available at...

https://stem.torproject.org/tutorials.html

* Stem Packaging

Thanks to a half dozen package maintainers stem is now available on
several platforms, with more in the works...

https://stem.torproject.org/download.html

The most recent was the Python Package Index (PyPI), which can make
stem installation as simple as 'pip install stem'...

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/stem/

* Google Summer of Code

The timing of this year's winter developer meeting couldn't have been
better. During it I begged, bribed, and poked people with pointy
sticks until they 'volunteered' to mentor something in this year's
GSoC. Thanks to them our project ideas page is no longer overly
sparse. Google will be announcing the selected orgs on April 8th.

* Stem Release 1.0

Last, but certainly not least I wrote numerous finishing touches for
stem and made its long overdue initial release!

https://blog.torproject.org/blog/stem-release-10

Cheers! -Damian