[tor-dev] information about "last_restarted"

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Tue Sep 25 18:49:31 UTC 2012

On 9/24/12 6:16 PM, succer110 at tiscali.it wrote:
> Hi everyone tor devel!
> I would like to know more information about last_restarted information.
> - It's possibile to forge this kind of data or is somehow certified by
> the tor network?

last_restarted is computed from the descriptor publication time minus
the contained uptime.  The uptime value is not certified by the Tor network.

> Sometime, while sampling hourly some data by onionoo i've noticed some
> difference in the uptime by + or - a few seconds in this value.
> - Any idea of how this is possible?!

A few seconds sounds like rounding errors or minor clock deviations.

> - In which file do i find the code that handle this value?

https://gitweb.torproject.org/onionoo.git/blob/HEAD:src/org/torproject/onionoo/DetailDataWriter.java#l494

Best,
Karsten